PRAC 6552 Advanced Nurse Practice in Reproductive Health Care Practicum
Assignment 2: Journal Entry #1
On any given day, a nurse can play a pivotal role in someoneâ€™s life. Experienced nurses often share stories of previous experiences and draw upon these experiences when circumstances warrant.
Hence, reflection can be a valuable tool. It serves as a tool for not only recalling experiences but also for applying lessons learned from those experiences. Keeping a nursing journal provides these benefits and more.
- Refer to the current Clinical Guidelines found in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and consider how these guidelines inform your clinical experience.
- Refer to your FNP or AGPCNP Clinical Skills and Procedures Self-Assessment Form you submitted in Week 1, and consider how your self-assessment might inform your Assignment.
- Refer to your Patient Log in Meditrek and reflect on Weeks 1â€“5 of your clinical experience. Consider your observations and experiences with patients during this time.
Journal Entry #1 (450â€“500 words):
In your journal entry, answer the following questions:
Learning from Experiences
- Reflect on the 3 most challenging patient encounters and discuss what was most challenging for each.
- What did you learn from this experience?
- What resources did you have available?
- What evidence-based practice did you use for this patient?
- What new skills are you learning?
- What would you do differently?
- How are you managing patient flow and volume?
Communicating and Feedback
Respond to the following reflective questions:
- How might I improve on my skills and knowledge, and how to communicate that back to my Preceptor?
- How am I doing? What is missing?
- What type of feedback am I receiving from my Preceptor?
Journal Entry 1
This week, you complete and submit your first journal entry. Your journal draws from evidence, concepts, and/or theories you have examined in this program, especially those related to your specialization. What have you observed during your Practicum Experience that you would like to analyze through your journal writing?
- Reflect on your Practicum Experiences in Weeks 1–3.
- Think about the evidence, concepts, and/or theories (evidence) learned throughout this program and your specialization.
- Analyze a problem, issue, or situation that you have observed during your Practicum Experience. (There was an unplanned downtime of the electronic health system (EHR) which lasted an hour).
- Using a minimum of three peer-reviewed sources of evidence, consider what you have observed within the context of your specialty using appropriate concepts, principles, and theories. Give special attention to observed events that vary from the scholarly literature. (See attached pdf of the peer-reviewed articles)
- Determine how the problem, situation, or issue was handled in a manner that is consistent and a manner that is inconsistent with the theory, concepts, and principles detailed in the evidence. (Read attached pdf articles)
- Given the various evidence-based approaches that can be used in handling the observed problem, situation, or issue, think about a plan for approaching the matter differently. (Read attached pdf articles)
- Write a 250- to 300-word journal entry in APA format and at least 3 references (identified as Journal Entry 1) in which you do the following:
1) Describe a problem, issue, or situation that you have observed during your Practicum Experience (no more than a half page). (There was an unplanned downtime of the electronic health system (EHR) which lasted an hour).
2) Using no fewer than three peer-reviewed sources of evidence, analyze what you have observed within the context of your specialty using appropriate concepts, principles, and theories. Give special attention to observed events that vary from scholarly literature. (During downtime, the main issue was that the medication administration record [MAR] was unavailable for the whole 30 minutes which was critical and too long in case any of the patient may have required emergency medications to save their lives; also, the alarms on the babies leg in the NICU were deactivated which posed a security risk that may have caused a baby to be stolen).
3) Explain how the problem, situation, or issue was handled in a manner that is consistent and a manner that is inconsistent with the theory, concepts, and principles detailed in the evidence. (Emergency meeting was held after the unplanned downtime, see attached plan for handling unplanned downtime)
4) Given the various evidence-based approaches that can be used in handling the problem, situation, or issue, formulate a plan for approaching the matter differently. (See attached plan)
Foote, S. O., & Coleman, J. R. (2008). Medication administration: the implementation process of bar-coding for medication administration to enhance medication safety. Nursing Economic$, 26(3), 207-210.
Campos, F., Luna, D., Sittig, D. F., & Bernaldo de Quirós, F. G. (2015). Design, Implementation and Evaluation of an Architecture based on the CDA R2 Document Repository to Provide Support to the Contingency Plan. Studies In Health Technology And Informatics, 216173-177
Oral, B., Cullen, R. M., Diaz, D. L., Hod, E. A., & Kratz, A. (2015). Downtime procedures for the 21st century: using a fully integrated health record for uninterrupted electronic reporting of laboratory results during laboratory information system downtimes. American Journal Of Clinical Pathology, 143(1), 100-104. doi:10.1309/AJCPM0O7MNVGCEVT
Kolowitz, B. J., Lauro, G. R., Barkey, C., Black, H., Light, K., & Deible, C. (2012). Workflow continuity–moving beyond business continuity in a multisite 24-7 healthcare organization. Journal Of Digital Imaging, 25(6), 744-750. doi:10.1007/s10278-012-9504-4